- Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. Finally some are starting to die off. We pulled a half dozen and trimmed out the rest, but there’s still a bowlful of sungolds every morning and more on the vine. We cut the tops off of most so they would stop growing and ripen what they already have on the vine.
- Return of the Beans! We get another meal’s worth every week.
- Beets and Carrots keep coming.
- Chard is ready to pick. Not sure what to do with it though.
- Herbs. I dried, crushed and jarred some Sage. I guess I was feeling crafty.
- Pumpkins are quite lovely. Guess we’re all set for Halloween.
- Massive mounds of marigolds fill in every gap.
Tomatoes were definitely the over-achievers of the season. We are basically stocked up until next year – I have 24 pints for sauce, chili or whatever, and a freezer FULL of cherry tomatoes.
September is my favorite month of the year, and I love the clear skies and cool nights. October is likely to be quieter in the garden, and I expect we’ll start thinking about next year.
Free Email Updates
Enjoy special offers and invitations to events.